Pray: Humbly ask God for wisdom. Ask Him to teach you as you read the following section of the Bible.
Read: Ephesians 4:7-16
At City Church we believe growing people change... but change into what? An apple? A better looking Facebook profile? A smarter, slimmer, more spiritual version of oneself? Not exactly. As we follow Jesus, we grow to be more like Him! Our minds, desires, relationships and lives begin to change and are constantly being transformed. (vs. 13-15)
As disciples or followers of Christ, we are called to more than “southern comfort living” or consuming the next trendy Bible study or worship service. We have an obligation to use and exercise our gifts to help train and build up one another in the church (see verse 12). But what does all this teaching and spiritual body building lead to? What are we shooting for?
· Unity in the faith & knowledge of Jesus (vs. 13)
· Growing toward maturity in Christ. (vs. 13)
· No longer easily deceived by false or twisted teaching (vs. 14)
· Able to recognize and speak truth to one another (vs. 15)
So what is your plan to grow as a disciple of Jesus and become a disciple-maker here in Tallahassee? Who do you need in your life to help you? Who can you be investing in? Have you ever asked yourself those questions before? Most major endeavors fail to succeed simply because they lack a real plan or at least a next step in the series of baby steps towards Christ-likeness. So do you have an intentional plan to, “grow in every way into Him Who is the Head – Christ”(vs. 15)?
I ask you that question to spur you on to consider how Jesus in you could be multiplied through you in the world. Every disciple of Jesus has a two-part mission: to grow more like Jesus and to reproduce the life of Christ in others. Or put another way: To reach the lost and grow the reached.
So again, do you have a plan to grow more like Jesus? Need help? Need resources? Then I’d recommend that you start by checking out the City Church “GROW” page: full of resources and help for your spiritual growth.
1. What is your plan to grow more like Jesus?
2. What sorts of things have been most powerful in helping you grow and mature as a Christian?
3. What are some ways you can exercise and/or utilize your gifts or experiences to help ‘reach the lost and mature the reached’ this week?
Memorize: Ephesians 4:15
15 “But speaking the truth in love, let us grow in every way into Him who is the head—Christ.”