10 Points from "Suburban Legends - I Just Have to Try Harder" (Week 2)
1. Your behavior changes because YOU change, not because of your effort, your personal to-do list, or religious devotion does.
2. When we think the solution for our lives is to try harder, we miss Christianity altogether. The work was done by Christ, when he announced from his bloody death at the wooden cross that "It is finished." (John 19:30)
3. When we come to faith in Christ we receive a new heart and new affections are developed.
4. When we understand our sinfulness enough to realize we need a savior, faith goes from being "cultural" to "convictional."
5. The marker of those who understand the gospel of Jesus Christ is that, when they stumble and fall, they run TO God and not FROM him.
6. If self-reliance could ultimately contribute to our success and fulfillment, God's glory would be diminished.
7. If you are not firmly rooted in the gospel and do not preach it to yourself every day, you will soon become discouraged and will slack off in your pursuit of holiness.
8. The Bible is realistic about holiness. Remaining in Christ does not mean there will be no more struggle for obedience, but it is a fight we will win because we have the Spirit of Christ!
9. Many people don't want to get rid of sin; they want to get rid of guilt.
10. Look to Christ and you will realize the guilt is gone, because he bore all of our guilt and shame on the cross.
For Further Reading:
2 Corinthians 5:19
1 Corinthians 2:2
1 Peter 2:24
1 Corinthians 15:10
1 Thessalonians 1:9
Colossians 2:6-7, 12-14
Community Group Discussion Guide
Pastor Dean's Sermon:
Sun, September 9, 2012
by Matthew Robinson