1. Luke 2:14 says, "Glory to God in the highest heaven, and peace on earth to people He favors!" Peace is the most important part of understanding the true meaning of Christmas.
2. Peace often becomes commercialized in the Christmas season. The true meaning of Peace, is having Peace with God.
3. Why do we not have peace with God? Psalm 14:3 says, "All have turned away; all alike have become corrupt. There is no one who does good, not even one."
4. Our culture does not believe this. We can compare ourselves to other people and almost always find someone worse than us. However, this is not the correct standard. Compared to a holy God, we are guilty for our sin.
5. God's response to our rebellion is nothing short of spectacular. Instead of hostility, we see: "The Word became flesh and took up residence among us. We observed His glory, the glory as the One and Only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth." (John 1:14 HCSB)
6. The good news of the Gospel is that God left the most privileged place, Heaven, put on flesh and blood, and came to Earth. Not to judge us, but to acquit us.
7. We respond to this good news by believing the Christmas story. (Luke 2:10-14)
8. The people rejoiced when they heard that a Savior was sent to Earth: "Suddenly there was a multitude of the heavenly host with the angel, praising God and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest heaven, and peace on Earth to people he favors!'" (Luke 2:13-14 HCSB)
9. How is it possible for us to find peace with God? 1 Timothy 2:5: "For there is one God and one mediator between God and humanity, Christ Jesus, Himself human"
10. The Christmas season is about celebrating the peace we have with God because of the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, and our confessing that truth.